for better or verse

Monday, April 11, 2005

flesh and spirit

The good voice whispers thus
"Don't be such an impudent fuss"
The evil voice croaks this
"Think of all the fun you'll miss"

What should I listen to, my Lord?
Who do I turn to in times of woe, God?
To offer me advice on matters such
When to win and to lose is so much

What do you think of my impasse?
What do I keep and what do I pass?
Is it self-righteousness that I must disavow?
Or will my morality bear a mortal blow?

If I agree to beware, deny and avoid
will my life be of pleasure devoid?
Or if I let my body and senses be toyed
could I forever sustain all that pleasure unalloyed?

For all time to come, shall I be damned in hell
or would I have lived my life on earth well?
Is my body a worthless, empty shell
to be discarded at the sound of death's knell

by the spirit that floats to the gates of Heaven
Or is it something to cherish till I'm a hundred and eleven
be tended to right from sapling to withering stump
from a child's babbling to an old man's slump

and all the while, keep it supple and strong
to bear burdens and race with the throng
devour the fruits of the flesh and procreate
and leave the rest to will and fate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home